An Inexcusable Failure

by Leonard Tramiel

After my first academic year in graduate school, I came home for the summer where I returned to the PET program at Commodore. One of the tasks I was given was to review a box of software that been submitted so that Commodore would sell the software. I didn't recommend that Commodore take any of the software. One piece of software deserves special attention.

I said that this piece of software wasn't worth selling because there was nothing that it could do that couldn't also be done by a nearly trivial BASIC program. One reason for having this view was that nearly all of the discussions that I had had with the people involved in producing the first personal computers centered around the primary use being to learn programming. So I was biased to think that everyone that used a PET would be able to write simple programs. The program I'm talking about was VisiCalc.

I hope you've all stopped laughing by now. There is an interesting "plus" to my idiotic decision. I had the chance to discuss this with one of the authors of VisiCalc. We met at a conference in 2010. It turned out that the same decision was made at Apple so the authors of VisiCalc were forced to start a software distribution business. This was a very good financial decision for them. So good that I was thanked for my mistake.

So I supposed this is an example of "No harm no foul" but ... wow, that was an inexcusable failure.

Popular posts from this blog

Calculators, codes, and hidden messages

If Looks Could Kill

Programming by Tweezer